Here are our planned trips (all are tentative):
The plans - to be an organizational, planning, and development trip. We plan to visit all our ministry areas - to include Basic Schools (preschools), Churches, Special Needs School, the indigent nursing home, and a few families and special children we help.
- Further evaluate hunger problems in the Basic Schools, consider if a feeding program or something similar is feasible.
- Assuming we want to proceed with feeding programs - organize a child sponsorship program to fund the feeding program
- If we recruit preschool teachers, evaluate the Basic Schools for other ways we can help
- Consider a child sponsorship program to help fund the feeding program at Lyssons Special Needs School.
Team members needed:
- Ideally, we would like a team of about 10 people.
- We specifically are praying that preschool and early childhood education teachers would choose to go
- People who are good organizers to help us obtain the data and information to create the Child Sponsorship program.
- Make plans for the next few trips - such as where and how to do a VBS in the Summer
- Look at and possibly make plans for a construction project on one of the other trips
This trip is very tentative at this time. This is the Spring Break week for most public schools in the Birmingham, AL area. This is the peak time for travel to Jamaica. The airlines are usually crowded, tickets are hard to obtain, they are more expensive and the hotel availability is a problem. We are working on this and will update when we can be assured of hotel availability.
Schools in Jamaica do not dismiss for the summer until the first few days of July. So, we cannot do Vacation Bible Schools easily until this all ends.
- Take VBS's to remote areas where VBS's are not usually conducted
- Try to teach and empower local leaders to do their own VBS in the future
- If we have the right team mix, we might also undertake a construction project.
- VBS leaders
- VBS helpers
- Mature youth
- Light construction crew